Cannes, France – The final day of the Cannes Lions 2022 festival ended on 25 June with Dentsu Creative India bagging the ‘Agency of the Year Award’, making the first Indian agency to win such an award in the history of the creative awards festival.
Dentsu Creative India was recognised for their efforts in the campaign ‘The Unfiltered History Tour’ alongside media brand VICE. The campaign focuses on a multimedia experience that takes viewers and listeners to the true historical nature of stolen artefacts at the British Museum.
The campaign also won a Titanium Award, given out to those campaigns that are ‘breaking new ground in branded communications with provocative, boundary-busting, envy-inspiring work that marks a new direction for the industry’.
Speaking of the recent win, Ajay Gahlaut, group chief creative officer for India at Dentsu Creative, said, “Winning the ‘Agency of the Year’ is an emotion I cannot even begin to describe. When I used to watch other agencies win the title I often wondered if I ever would get that same honour. What they say is true. Dreams do come true! I’m over the moon with the Titanium win along with the hat trick of Grand Prix and a whole lot of other metals.”
He added, “Not just me I think no one in the entire Indian ad industry has been part of such a huge haul of Lions ever before. And I do believe we are the first full-service Indian agency to win the title of Agency of the Year. I doff my hat to the entire team responsible for the Unfiltered History Tours.”
Meanwhile, Amit Wadhwa, CEO for India at Dentsu Creative, commented, “We are undeniably proud to be associated with a campaign that takes top honours on a global platform. This indeed fuels the fire of passion and commitment in the team that has relentlessly worked on it. The entire credit goes to each one of them who has been involved, to all our present and ex-colleagues who have worked so hard on the campaign. They are the real winners.”
On other awards, APAC winners at the ‘Film’ category include:
- ‘Shot on iPhone 13 Pro: The Comeback’ by Apple, TBWA\Arts Lab Shanghai, Lunar Films Shanghai (Gold Lion, Silver Lion)
- ‘Chatpat’ by SOS Children’s Villages India, FCB India Delhi, Kinnect Mumbai (Silver Lion, Bronze Lion)
- ‘Metaverrrrrrr’ by Krungsri First Choice, Leo Burnett Bangkok, Factory01 Bangkok (Silver Lion, Bronze Lion)
- ‘Machine-Gun Mouth’ by Battlegrounds Mobile India, DDB Mudra Mumbai, Early Man Film Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai (Bronze Lion)
- ‘Party’ by Cheers, GIGIL Taguig, Arcade Film Factory Makati (Bronze Lion)
- ‘The Wisdom of the East’ by 5 Takabb, Phenomena Co. Bangkok (Bronze Lion)
The campaign ‘Adeli’ by Unipads and VMLY&R took a Bronze Lion in the category ‘Glass: The Lion for Change’.
Meanwhile, in the ‘Sustainable Development Goals’ category, the campaign ‘The Missing Chapter’ by P&G and Leo Burnett Mumbai won the Grand Prix award. Other winners include:
- ‘Smart Fill’ by Unilever, VMLY&R Commerce India Mumbai (Silver Lion)
- ‘Child Marriage Prevention Loan’ by IPDC Finance Ltd and Amal Foundation, Grey Bangladesh Dhaka (Bronze Lion)
- ‘Goodie Box’ by Everybody Eats, DDB New Zealand Auckland (Bronze Lion)
- ‘Quest for Dyslexia’ by Samsung, Cheil Worldwide Beijing (Bronze Lion)
- ‘One House to Save Many’ by Suncorp Group, Leo Burnett Sydney (Bronze Lion)